Creamy Chicken Spaghetti is the perfect comfort food for any night of the week! Packed with veggies such as bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms, smothered in a creamy sauce, topped with a layer of melted cheddar cheese.
Chicken spaghetti is one of those classic southern comfort foods. If you live in the south, you have definitely, at some point in your life, had chicken spaghetti. It’s one of those universally loved dishes you can bring to a potluck or a family dinner and know that everyone will love it. There’s something about the creamy sauce, the tender noodles, slightly crunchy peppers and that melty cheesy layer that is perfection! If you like pasta recipes, you might also like my Avocado Fettuccine or Cheesy Penne with summer veggies.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs Zen and Spice participates in.
How to make Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
Poach the chicken breasts
First, you’ll need to poach your chicken breasts. Place them in a medium saucepan along with salt. Cover with water and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes. When it’s done, you’ll use a fork to shred.
Cook the spaghetti noodles
Next, you’ll bring a large pot of water to boil. Add a hefty amount of salt (essential for cooking good pasta!). Break the spaghetti into 2-inch pieces. The small pieces help the casserole come together nicely.
Saute the veggies and make the sauce
Small dice the peppers and onion, and slice the mushrooms. You’ll saute these along with garlic and spices until soft, then add flour. The flour helps to thicken the sauce once the milk is added! After you pour in the milk, you’ll simmer for a few minutes until thick. Next, you’ll add the shredded chicken and half of the shredded cheese. Stir this together and add to a 9×13 baking dish.
Broil the cheesy layer
After you’ve added the mixture to a baking dish, you’ll top with the rest of the cheese and broil until melted. Top with minced fresh parsley!
Quick tips for making Creamy Chicken Spaghetti
- You can substitute 2% milk if you want to lighten this dish up a little bit.
- Do not skimp on the cheese!
- Any color of bell peppers will do, you could even try adding green chilies or jalapenos
Here’s the recipe for Creamy Chicken Spaghetti:Print
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 cups water
- 8 oz spaghetti pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, small diced
- ½ lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ⅔ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese, grated or shredded
- ½ small bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, minced
- Add chicken and salt to a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, cover, and bring to a boil. Snap the spaghetti into 2-inch pieces. Once the water boils, uncover, add salt (~2-3 tsp) and pasta, and stir for a few seconds. Cook according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, peppers, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until veggies begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir until incorporated. Then pour in the milk, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Let simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickned, 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to the broil setting and position the rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Grate the cheese.
- When chicken is done, drain, and shred with a fork. Add to vegetable mixture along with the cooked pasta and half of the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour the spaghetti mixture into a baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and broil for 3 minutes until cheese on top melts and becomes golden brown.
- To serve, top with minced parsley!
- Calories: 765
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 61
- Protein: 62
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!