- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts
- 2 tsp salt
- 8 cups water
- 8 oz spaghetti pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, small diced
- ½ lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- ⅔ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese, grated or shredded
- ½ small bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley, minced
- Add chicken and salt to a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to medium and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water, cover, and bring to a boil. Snap the spaghetti into 2-inch pieces. Once the water boils, uncover, add salt (~2-3 tsp) and pasta, and stir for a few seconds. Cook according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, peppers, mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often, until veggies begin to soften.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir until incorporated. Then pour in the milk, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Let simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickned, 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to the broil setting and position the rack in the upper third of the oven.
- Grate the cheese.
- When chicken is done, drain, and shred with a fork. Add to vegetable mixture along with the cooked pasta and half of the cheese. Stir to combine.
- Pour the spaghetti mixture into a baking dish. Top with remaining cheese and broil for 3 minutes until cheese on top melts and becomes golden brown.
- To serve, top with minced parsley!
- Calories: 765
- Fat: 30
- Carbohydrates: 61
- Protein: 62