It’s a Staggering Problem
Why do we waste so much food?
What can we do on our end?
- Make detailed weekly meal plans that has room for leftovers
- Ensuring that our fridges are working properly
- Use wilting vegetables that are on their way out for soups or stocks
- Make better use of leftovers
- Don’t serve so much in the first place– serve a reasonable portion so its less likely that there’s leftovers in the first place
- Keep a running tab of what’s in your pantry and fridge
- Rotate older food items to the front of shelves
- Freeze surplus items
- Composting, if you are lucky enough to have a backyard
Ask for the ugly
Think about your grocery store: the perfectly aligned rows of fruit and veggies. Six billion pounds of ugly fruits and veggies are wasted because they don’t meet visual standards. This wastes 20 gallons of water per pound. Revisions of these regulations and standards for fruit and veggies are so needed!
Grocery stores need to know that the public is okay with irregular shaped produce. It’s not only perfectly safe to eat, but it tastes exactly the same once it’s prepared. You can follow the @UglyFruitandVeg movement on Twitter.
Get access to my free e-book, 15 Easy Veggie Sides!
You're going to love it!
Look in your inbox for a confirmation email along with a link to download the book.