Crispy baked polenta fries, tossed in garlic and smoked paprika and served with a tangy barbecue sauce. These polenta fries are the perfect snack, or to serve alongside your fav burger!
My sister and I like to swap recipes. She likes to try new things as well– and when she told me that she make fries out of polenta, I had to try it myself! Apparently her boyfriend likes these more than regular french fries… is that possible?
Well, let me tell you. These were good. So good, that Nick and I snarfed down the entire plate in probably less than two minutes.
The idea is from the fantastic vegetarian recipe blog, Oh My Veggies. I used her method of slicing and baking, and then added my own spices. I wanted to create more of a “southern” vibe.
Next, you’ll toss in olive oil, garlic powder and smoked paprika and bake for 25 minutes, until the polenta is nice and crispy.
The great thing about polenta is that it’s lower in carbohydrates and higher in fiber! One tube of polenta, cut into fries, make two hearty side servings of polenta fries. Each serving has only 150 calories (not that we’re counting), and 7g of fiber. It’s a perfect snack that will be sure to keep you full until your next meal. Or, serve it alongside your favorite hamburger. It’s almost grilling season, after all!
The dipping sauce is an even ratio of ketchup to BBQ sauce to create a tangy, spicy and sweet sauce. YUM!
Here’s the recipe for Smoky Polenta Fries with BBQ Ketchup:
- 1 24-ounce tube polenta, plain, cut into 1-inch thick fries
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place polenta fries on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder and smoked paprika.
- Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes, until crisp and golden brown.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ketchup and BBQ sauce.
- Split into two servings alongside the dip!