Warm up with one of my family’s favorite dishes: chicken pot pie! Flaky, golden biscuit pieces top a savory chicken and veggie filling, including carrots, potatoes, sweet peas zucchini. All baked in a creamy and smooth white sauce.
If I had to choose any meal from my childhood that had the most lasting impact, it would be my Dad’s chicken pot pie. This dish instantly brings me back to my childhood every time I smell the garlic, onion and chicken stock cooking!
I can remember helping my Dad make this dish by sauteing the veggies and placing the biscuits in neat little rows. My Dad is a great cook, and he’s definitely where I get lots of inspiration from. Back in the day, my family would have devoured this entire casserole dish in one sitting. We probably would have made two pot pies just like this one to feed us Hein kids.
When we were younger, he used to cook a couple times week to help my mom out. When he first started making chicken pot pie for the family, he used pie dough. But after a while he got tired of how finicky it can be sometimes, and just switched to canned biscuits. Chicken pot pie was never the same! I actually love the biscuits more than traditional pie crust because the bottoms of the biscuits absorb the sauce, leaving you with a deliciously yummy soggy biscuit bottom (lolz) and a crispy, flaky biscuit top. :)
This dish is light, creamy, and packed full of veggies– carrots, peas, zucchini and potatoes. It’s so easy to make the sauce– just butter, flour, milk and chicken bouillon. Try the biscuit top alternative instead of pie dough sometime!
Our family has made this dish so many times, we don’t even use a recipe anymore. But here’s the official, Hein-family approved recipe!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can diced white potatoes
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken
- 1 can jumbo refrigerated biscuits
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, melt the butter and add the salt, pepper, onion powder and minced garlic. Add the flour and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and let it come to a boil. Add the bouillon cube.
- Add the frozen mixed veggies, potatoes, zucchini and chicken. Let it boil for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Pour into a 9x13 baking dish.
- Top with the biscuits and bake for about 10 minutes, or until biscuits are browned.
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!