Spice things up for dinner with this veggie-packed Cajun shrimp skillet. Made with homemade Cajun seasoning, these juicy shrimp, zucchini, bell pepper, and corn are served alongside easy red rice.
I just love using Cajun seasoning on meats and vegetables. My favorite is Tony’s Creole seasoning — tastes great on chicken, shrimp, fish, and any veggie! When I was young, my dad used to make salmon seasoned with Cajun seasoning and it was just delicious. Today’s recipe is inspired by those meals I had as a kid. Tender, spicy shrimp served alongside seasonal veggies and rice pilaf. YUM! If you’re interested in other seafood dishes, be sure to check out my Grilled Shrimp Tostadas and Creamy Fish Tacos.
What you’ll need to make Cajun Shrimp Skillet
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs Zen and Spice participates in.
How to make Cajun Shrimp Skillet
Mix together your Cajun seasoning
We’re going to make a spicy homemade Cajun seasoning blend to use for both the rice and shrimp/veggies. The staple spices of any good Cajun seasoning is cayenne and paprika. These two will give your dish that red-hot look that is so signature to spicy Cajun dishes. So don’t leave those out! They’re important! You’ll use half the seasoning blend for the rice and the other half for the shrimp and vegetables.
Cook the Cajun rice
To cook the rice, we’re going to saute the shallots and celery with some tomato paste (which will give the rice that nice deep red color, along with the spices). Then you’ll add the broth and rice, and cook covered for 15-20 minutes until all the broth is absorbed.
Cook the veggies and shrimp
Finally, you’ll cook the veggies and shrimp. To do this, you’ll start off with some olive oil. Once that’s hot in the skillet, you’ll add the zucchini, peppers, and corn. After the veggies have softened, you’ll add the shrimp, which only take a minute or two on each side. By the time you’re done with the shrimp and veggies, the rice will be done!
Here’s the recipe for Cajun Shrimp Skillet with Veggies & Rice:Print
Spice things up for dinner with this veggie-packed Cajun shrimp skillet. Spiced with homemade Cajun seasoning, these juicy shrimp, zucchini, bell pepper, and corn are served alongside easy red rice.
- In a medium bowl, combine and mix together the spices.
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Once the saucepan is hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add the shallots and celery to the saucepan and cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and half of the spice mixture to the saucepan. Cook, stirring continuously, 1 minute.
- Add the rice and broth to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Once the liquid comes to a boil, stir the mixture, cover the saucepan, and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice until the liquid is fully absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Once done, remove the rice from the heat and let it stand, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and oil to the medium bowl with the rest of the spice mixture. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add the zucchini, bell pepper, and frozen corn to the skillet and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the skillet; cook until opaque, 1-2 minutes per side. Once done, remove skillet from heat.
- To serve, divide the rice between bowls and top with the shrimp and vegetables.