A twist on an Italian classic – this grilled bruschetta chicken is a delicious light dinner. Chicken breasts covered in Italian seasonings and grilled, then topped with melty mozzarella cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh basil, and homemade balsamic glaze.
Fresh herbs are one of my favorite ingredients. Especially basil. I’ve always tried growing basil in pots on various apartment balconies, but the heat and lack of proper soil/drainage always killed them off before the little plants could finally produce. This year, after moving into our new house, my Dad came over and helped build two giant planter boxes. I was finally able to properly plant basil with plenty of room to grow!
My basil plants have been thriving all summer, which means lots of basil for me. Today’s dish highlights basil in a delicious grilled chicken dish, topped with juicy tomatoes and melty mozzarella cheese. If you’re interested in more ways to use fresh basil, be sure to check out my Creamy Avocado Fettuccine and Basil Pesto & Roasted Corn Rice.
What you’ll need to make Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs Zen and Spice participates in.
How to make Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
Make homemade balsamic glaze
First, you’ll combine the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Once it comes to a boil you’ll reduce to a simmer. The vinegar should reduce by half and should coat the back of a spoon, and this will take about 10-15 minutes. Once thickened, you’ll remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside.
Grill the chicken breasts
I like to slice my chicken breasts in half lengthwise, to create thinner fillets. This makes it much easier and quicker to cook the chicken all the way through. Once the chicken is halved, you’ll cover them in oregano, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. We have a Calphalon indoor grill pan (linked above) that I use to grill indoors. It’s much easier to just whip out a grill pan instead of getting the outdoor grill all heated up. Once you’ve got some nice grill marks on the chicken and it’s cooked through, you’ll set it on a baking sheet.
Melt the cheese
Once the chicken is on the baking sheet, you’ll top it with the sliced mozzarella. This will go under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until the cheese melts.
Make your tomato bruschetta topping
In a small bowl, combine the diced tomatoes (try to find the ripest tomatoes possible), julienned fresh basil, minced shallots, and minced garlic. Once the mozzarella cheese has melted, you’ll remove it from the oven and top with with a hefty spoonful of tomatoes and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Quick Tips for Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- To make this more of a complete meal, serve alongside pasta (like spaghetti or linguine).
- Ripe tomatoes are essential to this dish! If you can’t find ripe tomatoes, you can use canned diced tomatoes.
- You can sometimes find pre-made balsamic glaze at the grocery store (I know Trader Joe’s carries this) which will save you a step.
Here’s the recipe for Grilled Bruschetta Grilled Chicken with Mozzarella and Balsamic Glaze:
Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 small tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, julienned
- Place a small saucepan on medium-high heat; add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook until reduced by half, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 10-15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat.
- Holding a knife parallel to the cutting board, cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, forming thin fillets.
- Mix the oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Rub chicken fillets with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, coat grill pan with olive oil.
- Place the chicken fillets in the grill pan; cook until they are golden brown and cooked through, 5-6 minutes per side. Once done, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to broil and position rack under the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up (optional).
- Combine the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and julienned basil in a bowl. Add the oil, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place cooked chicken on a baking sheet pan. Top with sliced mozzarella. Place in the oven and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt.
- To serve, divide the chicken between plates, top with tomato mixture, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!