Are you ready to impress your fellow tailgaters at your next football party?
Today I’m entering the Sabra #TwoSpoons Tailgating Recipe ReDux challenge! Sabra is celebrating tailgating season as the Official Dips Sponsor of the NFL and invited us Recipe ReDux Members to reinvent a delicious game day grub recipe using any flavor of Sabra hummus.
“By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Sabra Dipping Co. LLC, and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I received coupons for free product used in testing this recipe. I was not compensated for my time.”
Hummus has been long-recognized as a healthful food– and with good reason! Hummus is packed with nutrients: unsaturated fat, protein and fiber. These are associated with supporting good health, aiding in weight loss and maintaining stable blood sugars. Research has shown that diets with increased bean consumption are associated with reduced risk of chronic diseases like heart disease, diabetes and obesity.
Did you know two heaping spoonfuls of hummus a day will fulfill your bean recommendation for the week? I’m a huge fan of hummus because it can be used in so many foods. It’s not just a dip for raw veggies! Hummus pairs well with many foods and flavors. Sabra hummus is a perfect option for your tailgating menu. I’m a fan of Sabra hummus because it’s made with simple ingredients with no preservatives and it’s low in sodium.
Today’s recipe for Spicy Black Bean Taco French Bread, I used Sabra’s Supremely Spicy hummus, made a blend of chili peppers, red peppers, garlic, spices. My inspiration to use French bread came from Pioneer Woman’s olive cheese bread recipe. I love the idea of using French bread as an appetizer and slicing it up for guests.
Freshly baked French bread is smothered in spicy hummus and topped with seasoned black beans, two types of cheese, tomatoes, black olives, green onions and avocado. Baked for twenty minutes, the cheese gets nice and melty and the hummus begins to sink into the bread. It comes out crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Vegetarian, higher in fiber and lower in calories than traditional cheese bread, this appetizer will be a hit!
[Tweet “get your #twospoons of #hummus with this Spicy Black Bean Taco bread! “]
If you’re bringing this to a tailgating party, prep everything first and wrap in foil and keep it in a cooler. When you get to the party, unwrap the top and place on a warm grill (not directly on the flames). This will melt the cheese and crisp up the bread.
Here’s the recipe for the Spicy Black Bean Taco French Bread Pizza:
- 1 loaf French bread
- 2/3 cup Sabra Supremely Spicy Hummus
- 1 can low-sodium black beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup Monterrey cheese, shredded
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small can of sliced black olives
- 1 avocado, diced
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the French bread loaf in half, place on a large baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix the black beans, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Mash lightly with a fork.
- Spread 1/3 cup of hummus on each loaf with a spatula. Top evenly with black beans, cheddar cheese, Monterrey cheese, tomatoes, green onions, black olives and avocado.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- If you're bringing this to a tailgating party, prep everything first and wrap in foil and keep it in a cooler. When you get to the party, unwrap the top and place on a warm grill (not directly on the flames). This will melt the cheese and crisp up the bread.
Be sure to check out the other great entries in the contest!
[inlinkz_linkup id=562523 mode=1]
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!