A deliciously hearty and healthy twist on the classic stroganoff! This vegan mushroom stroganoff has a creamy coconut milk sauce with plenty of fresh thyme and baby spinach.
When you come up with a really great vegan dish, it’s time to celebrate. I like eating meatless several nights per week, and mushrooms are one of my favorite staples for meatless meals. This creamy vegan mushroom stroganoff is so delicious, you’d never guess it was plant-based!
What you’ll need to make Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs Zen and Spice participates in.
How to make vegan mushroom stroganoff
Sautee the veggies
First, you’ll saute the onion and mushrooms until they begin to soften. Then you’ll add the seasonings, which include garlic and onion powder, paprika, and salt.
Thicken the sauce
Next, you’ll whisk together the coconut milk and cornstarch, then add it to the skillet with the mushrooms. Simmer for a few minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Finally, you’ll add the fresh thyme and baby spinach until wilted.
Here’s the recipe for Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff:
You can also find this recipe on the Mealime app.Print
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4 1x
- 12 oz fettuccine pasta
- 1 large yellow onion, small diced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 (13.5 fl oz) can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed and minced
- 1 (5 oz) pkg baby spinach
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add 1 Tbsp oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add the onion to the skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic to the skillet; season with the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are softened, 4-5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut milk and cornstarch.
- Add the coconut milk mixture, broth, soy sauce, and vinegar to the skillet. Stir and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add thyme leaves to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Add spinach to the skillet in handfuls, waiting for the spinach to wilt slightly before adding the next handful.
- Drain pasta and add to skillet with the sauce. Toss to combine.
- Category: vegan
- Cuisine: pasta
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!