Chewy peanut butter cookies, topped with a melted marshmallow and drizzled with sweet chocolate. For any chocolate and peanut butter fan out there, these are sure to please.
This year I decided to participate in the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap! I had first heard about this fundraiser last year, when it was too late to participate. I stayed on top of my game this year and managed to sign up in time to participate. The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap brings together food bloggers from all around the world. You sign up, get the names and addresses of three other food bloggers, and you send them each one dozen homemade cookies. Then, you get a dozen cookies from three others! Today is the day we’re posting our recipes, and I think there are over 400 participants.
It’s for a good cause, too. By participating in the swap (we were asked to make a small monetary donation to participate), we’re supporting Cookies for Kid’s Cancer, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease.
My cookies of choice: Peanut Butter S’more Cookies! I have a huge love of marshmallows. When I was a kid I used to take a giant bowl, fill it up with marshmallows, nuke it for a few seconds, and eat it with a spoon (I’m not sure where my parents were when I was doing this). Anytime s’mores are offered or even just marshmallows in hot chocolate, I’m first in line.
I’m not a huge fan of the graham cracker when making s’mores– I wish you could make a s’more using just the marshmallow and chocolate but that would get pretty messy. Me and my siblings used to wedge a piece of chocolate inside the marshmallow and roast it over the first as-is without the cracker. YUM.
You see though, something magical happens when you pair chocolate and peanut butter. And wouldn’t a chewy peanut butter cookie make a much better s’more vehicle than a graham cracker? I may be biased by my long time love for marshmallows but I do think a peanut butter cookie would be much better.
That’s where these cookies came in. I used a slight variation of the Betty Crocker original peanut butter cookie recipe, and then in the last 3 minutes of baking, added a giant marshmallow to each cookie. Then I used a spatula to flatten them down once they got all soft and goey. On top goes a sweet chocolate drizzle! There you have it, peanut butter cookies made into s’mores.
Here’s the recipe for Peanut Butter S’more Cookies:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 bar sweet melting chocolate
- 30 large marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix sugars, peanut butter, butter, and egg in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Shape dough into 1" balls (about a teaspoon). Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten in crisscross patterns with a fork.
- Bake 8-9 minutes until just light brown. Place a marshmallow into the center of each cookie and bake for another 2 minutes. Remove from oven and use a spatula to flatten the marshmallows.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, remove from cookie sheet and cool on a wire rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a small bowl in 30 second increments. Using a spoon, swirl chocolate onto each cookie.
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!