Hi everyone! The blog is finally up and running after almost 5 days of being out of commission. My website got hacked and contracted a huge virus. My old host wanted to charge me out the wazoo for repair, so I switched hosts and it’s taken forever for the site migration and nameserver updates (<– two concepts unfamiliar to me until this week). Lesson learned: invest in a good host, have site security, and delete unused plugins and themes. Anyhow…
It’s time for the CABOT CHEESE CONTEST! Folks, I have been looking forward to sharing these recipes for weeks. If there’s anything I love more in this world, it’s cheese. If I had to live off one food group for the rest of my life, I’d choose cheese. Cheese fanatic. So when The Recipe Redux and Cabot Creamery teamed up for a contest, I couldn’t wait to get started!
I received free samples of Cabot Cheese mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe challenge sponsored by Cabot Creamery and am eligible to win prizes. I was not additionally compensated for my time.
Cabot Creamery is challenging Recipe ReDux members to create a healthier snack. From finger foods to hearty apps, lighten up your favorite “big game” or red carpet eats for entertaining. Cabot Creamery is a family-farmer owned cooperative of more than 1200 farms located throughout New England and New York. One-hundred (100) percent of Cabot’s profits go back to their farmers. Cheddar cheese is a protein-rich snack and naturally lactose free!
I was sent seven different giant blocks of cheese to sample. This was the most generous recipe contest I’ve ever entered. I received their Legacy Collection White Oak, Legacy Collection Farmhouse Reserve, Legacy Collection Alpine Cheddar, Seriously Sharp Cheddar, Extra Sharp Cheddar, Vermont Sharp Cheddar and Pepper Jack cheese. I have what should be a six month supply of cheese in my fridge, but I know it won’t last long.
For my first entry, I decided to make gnocchi. They’re actually very simple to make: you bake the sweet potato, scoop out the flesh, and then add the flour and cheese a little at a time until a slightly sticky dough forms. Then you just roll, slice, boil, and fry in butter and garlic!
Since Super Bowl Sunday is coming up this weekend, I thought this would be the perfect football snack. It’s a little indulgent (the cheese + beer) but the sweet potatoes add a little health factor!
Cheesy, garlicky sweet potato pasta bites on a stick. Dipped in cheesy, spicy beer sauce. What could possibly sound better?
Here’s the recipe for sweet potato gnocchi with dip!
- 2 cups mashed sweet potato (about two large)
- 1 cup Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- garlic salt, to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup light beer
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 400F for approximately 1 hour until soft.
- Take the peel off of the potatoes and add to a large bowl. Use a potato masher to finely mash the potatoes. Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Add 1/4 cup flour at a time, combining with the potato masher. The dough will form into a ball that is slightly sticky to the touch. Knead the dough on a floured surface for about thirty seconds.
- Divide and roll into thirds, and cut into gnocchi. Drop into boiling water, boil for 3-4 minutes or until the float to the surface. Drain on a paper towel. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large pan over medium heat and stir fry the gnocchi for 3-4 minutes, until slightly crispy. Add garlic salt to taste.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or so. Add the beer, milk, garlic, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and jalapeno. Stir with a wooden spoon frequently until sauce thickens, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese, cayenne, salt and pepper.
Be sure to check out the other entries!
[inlinkz_linkup id=482636 mode=1]
Connect with Cabot Creamery!