Happy Sunday, everyone! Today we’re taking a break from Sunday Link Love for a Recipe Redux post! This month’s theme challenged us to make good use of leftovers, or show our readers how we can use leftovers to create new recipes.
Two for One
We’re all about cooking once and eating twice. In short, double dinners are better. Show us how you take a favorite recipe already on your blog – and ReDux the leftovers into a new dish. Or, whip up a new healthy recipe and give suggestions on how to make it a second meal. For example, slow cooker pot roast could become shredded beef tacos; or grilled chicken breasts might morph into chicken salad.
I decided to do a “pantry clean-out” recipe! I sometimes have so many leftover cans of beans, or frozen veggies such as corn or spinach that sit in my pantry or freezer for so long, that I need to use them to make room for other things. Sometimes I buy more canned beans without realized how much I already have in my pantry. I guess it would help if I peeked in to see how many I had before shopping, huh?
For today’s recipe, I took inspiration from one of my new fav cookbooks, Thug Kitchen. They have a recipe for baked flautas that looked amazing! I took their recipe and added some items that needed using up. I had an extra bag of frozen spinach in the freezer, two cans of pinto beans in the pantry, and a bag of pepper jack cheese slices that were approaching their expiration date. Perfect way to use all three!
Here’s the recipe!
- 2 14-oz cans pinto beans (no salt added)
- 1 can (4 oz) mild green chilies
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt (I use Morton's Lite Salt)
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1 10-oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 8 slices of pepper jack cheese, sliced into strips
- 8 light flour tortillas, 6"
- Salsa, sour cream, guacamole, chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the beans, chilies, and lime juice. Mash with a fork or potato masher until paste forms. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, and garlic.
- Fold in the sweet corn and spinach.
- Warm the tortillas up in the microwave for 10 seconds each, or warm in a large skillet.
- Place a few strips of the pepper jack cheese on the left side of a tortilla, then add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling. Roll the tortilla up tight and place on baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the tortillas.
- Lightly spray the flautas with cooking spray and bake for 10 minutes. Flip over, and bake for another 7 minutes, until brown and crispy.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, guacamole and sprinkle with chopped cilantro!