Cheese tortellini tossed in a creamy tomato sauce with plenty of salty Parmesan cheese and wilted baby spinach. This simple tortellini with cream sauce is the perfect, quick weeknight meal.
A simple weeknight meal that comes together so quickly! I’ve been a huge fan of quick weeknight meals lately, one of my favorites is my three ingredient gnocchi. I’m currently 35 weeks pregnant and dealing with lots of pelvic pain, so being on my feet for more than thirty minutes just isn’t possible these days. I came across this recipe on Allrecipes and made a few changes (for the picky husband mostly). This included using tomato sauce instead of diced tomatoes, slicing the baby spinach into julienne strips, and using half and half instead of heavy cream for a lighter dish.
The result? Cheesy, savory tortellini covered in a smooth and salty tomato cream sauce.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR CHEESE TORTELLINI WITH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE
Today’s recipe utilizes one of my favorite convenience products: pre-made tortellini! I like to buy Buitoni’s fresh tortellini from the refrigeration section. When that isn’t available, a bag of frozen tortellini also works in this recipe. As the tortellini boils, the sauce simmers on the stove-top and finishes just as the tortellini does. If timed right, you can finish this entire meal in less than 15 minutes. Now that’s a quick meal.
The sauce consists of tomato puree, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, simmered with milk, half and half and parmesan cheese until thick. I like to fold in the baby spinach at the very end, because it wilts so quickly. No need to overcook it! I like it when cooked spinach isn’t too soggy anyway. Remember to add some salt to your boiling water, it helps bring out more flavor in the cheese tortellini.
QUICK TIPS FOR YOUR CHEESE TORTELLINI WITH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE
- This dish pairs wonderfully with a light Cesar salad. This helps you get in all the food groups to feel full and satisfied!
- Adding some red pepper flakes in at the end can help your cheese tortellini have a spicy kick!
Cheese Tortellini with Tomato Cream Sauce
- Yield: 4 1x
Cheese tortellini tossed in a creamy tomato sauce with plenty of salty Parmesan cheese and wilted baby spinach.
- 1 16-oz pkg cheese tortellini
- 1 14.5oz can tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup baby spinach (julienned)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the tortellini, and cook until tender, according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the tomato sauce, salt, pepper, basil and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir until bubbling.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, milk and half and half. Stir this mixture into the saucepan along with the Parmesan cheese. Heat through, then reduce heat to low, and simmer until thick, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the tortellini, and add to the saucepan with the sauce. Stir in the baby spinach and let the heat wilt the spinach slightly. Serve with an additional sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!
Easy to prepare meals is what I needed these days too, Emily ;) I’m definitely adding this on our menu next week :)
Thanks for sharing this recipe!
Andy Bishop says
I tried making this last weekend. The family absolutely loved it. Thanks for sharing this easy to make dish.