This vegan pumpkin black bean soup is full of flavor and spices, along with savory chunks of sweet potato and tender kale.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2– inch piece ginger root, minced
- 2 medium yellow onions, small diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 1 lb sweet potato, peeled, small diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 48 fl oz (6 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans pure pumpkin purée
- 1 (13.5 fl oz) can coconut milk
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- 1 bunch kale, stem removed and chopped
- 2 limes
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add garlic, ginger, onion, and jalapeño to the pot; cook, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, beans, broth, tomatoes with their juices, pumpkin, coconut milk, salt, chili powder, and cumin to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until vegetables are tender, 15-20 min minutes.
- Add kale to pot during the last 5 minutes of cook time. Juice limes into the pot and stir to combine.
- Serve garnished with cilantro. Enjoy!
- Category: vegan