Simplify your weeknight dinners with these Pineapple Pita Pizzas! With only a handful of ingredients, these pita pizzas are customizable and delicious. Top your pita pizza with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, juicy sweet pineapple, bacon and/or black beans.
Ready to make dinner in less than 15 minutes? That’s right! When you’re crunched on time, these pineapple pita pizzas are perfect. These would make a great dinner for a busy weeknight during the school year. If you are interested in other insanely fast dinner recipes, be sure to check out my Creamy Avocado Fettuccine or my Five Minute Capellini Pomodoro.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Pineapple Pita Pizzas
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs Zen and Spice participates in.
How to make Pineapple Pita Pizzas
Cook your bacon
If you decide to use bacon on your pita pizzas, you’ll need to dice it into small pieces. Add it to a hot skillet and cook until crispy. I like to spoon it out and lay it on a plate with a paper towel to drain the rest of the grease.
Make your tomato sauce
Next, you’ll make your homemade tomato sauce. You can always buy pre-made marinara sauce, but it’s cheaper to make your own! Combine the tomato sauce, garlic, red pepper flakes, paprika, and black pepper and mix well.
Assemble your pita pizzas
Top the pita bread with several spoonfuls of tomato sauce, freshly shredded mozzarella cheese, pineapple chunks, and black beans if you’re using them. Save the bacon to add after it’s done in the oven. You’ll broil each pizza until the cheese melts and then remove from oven. Top with bacon and cilantro!
Quick Tips for making Pineapple Pita Pizza:
- You can use white or whole grain pitas, your choice!
- If you’re in a hurry, use premade marinara sauce, although it’s cheaper to make your own.
- You can use canned pineapple also if you don’t feel like cutting up an entire pineapple!
- Try any assortment of cheeses — cheddar, Colby, Monterey.
Here’s the recipe for Pineapple Pita Pizzas:Print
- 4 slices bacon OR 1 (15 oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 whole grain pitas
- 1 (8 oz) block mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 small pineapple, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- IF USING BACON: Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Chop the bacon into small pieces. Add to the skillet and cook until crispy, 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- FOR THE SAUCE: In a medium bowl, combine garlic, tomato sauce, red pepper, paprika, onion powder and black pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- To assemble, top the pitas with a thin layer of tomato sauce, cheese, red onion, and pineapple. If using black beans, add to pizza here. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and top with bacon (if using) and minced cilantro.
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!