10 oz flat rice (pad thai) noodles
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 medium carrots, cut into ribbons with vegetable peeler
2 red bell peppers, julienned
2 sticks celery, small diced
1 small bunch green onions (scallions), small diced
2 (1 inch) pieces ginger root, grated
4 cloves garlic, minced
¼ tsp black pepper
1 medium head napa or green cabbage, sliced thin
1 ½ lb large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp cornstarch
8 fl oz (1 cup) chicken or vegetable broth
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
- Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add rice noodles. Soak for 10 minutes or according to package directions. Then drain in a colander and rinse.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add the carrots, bell pepper, celery, half of the green onions, ginger, garlic, and black pepper to the pot. Sauté until soft, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage softens, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the shrimp to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Juice the lime into a small bowl. Add the cornstarch and whisk together.
- Juice the oranges into the pot; add broth, sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat, then stir in the cornstarch mixture. Reduce heat to low, add rice noodles, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Divide between bowls, garnish with remaining green onion, and enjoy!