Happy first day of June!
Today marks a big accomplishment for me: My 100th blog post!
For those of you who have been following me for a while, you may know that I used to blog under another name for the first ten months of blogging. I started my original website, The Apron Blog, in February of 2013. As I started blogging, I realized that I wanted to write about so much more than just recipes, and I wanted a more unique name. Therefore, Zen & Spice was born in January of 2014!
I’ve been loving the name switch and I’m excited for the opportunities that blogging has to offer.
It’s fun to look back at some of the very first posts I ever did. My first recipe I ever posted was this Strawberry, Avocado & Goat Cheese Salad. Here’s another post about a presentation I did for my internship.
A lot has changed from a year ago– I graduated from my dietetic internship, passed my registration exam, got my first real job, and moved in with my boyfriend.
Big changes have been happening to those around me, too. My little sister graduated from college. Nick’s sister and my best friend both got engaged within a week of each other (I get to be a bridesmaid in both of their weddings!). I’m SO excited for them!
5 Things I’ve Learned From Blogging:
- Blogging takes a LOT of time. When I first started, I don’t think I was quite aware of just how much time it takes. From writing posts, web design, editing pictures, reading other blogs, commenting, networking, posting things on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn… it’s endless!
- You need a lot of dedication and passion. Blogging pretty much turns into a part time job, so you need to be excited about it.
- They don’t grow overnight. This was one of the hardest things for me to realize. But of course, nothing can come from nothing! You have to work hard, network, and post content that people will read! Still working on this one :)
- Blogging has provided me a great outlet to contribute to others. I love sharing my nutrition knowledge with my readers.
- It takes time to learn how to use WordPress, html codes, css, SEO. I’m pretty sure it took me a full year before I actually got a hang of everything!
Nonetheless, I have really enjoyed it! I have made some new blogging friends and I really enjoy reading my favorite blogs every morning.
Here’s a shout-out to some of my daily reads:
With Love, Leslie (my sister!)
What are some of your favorite healthy living blogs?
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!
Leslie @ With Love, Leslie says
YOURS! :) I’m pretty new to the blogging world so I don’t really have anything to share but I just wanted to say CONGRATS!! And I can’t believe how much your blog and you have grown. It’s impressive ;)
Zen & Spice says
Thanks Leslie :) After a year’s hard work, I’m finally getting a real taste of blogging! I can’t wait to see how yours comes!
Mary @ flavorrd says
Wooo, congrats on that big milestone!! And thanks for the shout out B) I can totally identify with your lessons learned, especially the time commitment!
Zen & Spice says
Thanks! :) I know, the time commitment is a HUGE change! But once you get used to it, you get in a routine!
Nancy Wilson says
Thanks so much, Emily! We love your site and your recipes.