Hi! Time for a long over due Weekly Bites!
Here’s what a dietitian and her boyfriend have been eating:
From Top left to bottom right:
- Roasted potatoes, spinach, orange, turkey meat, hard boiled egg, strawberries and popcorn for lunch.
- Catered lunch for Hospital Week! BBQ sandwich, sausage, baked beans, and green beans. Totally delicious.
- Zoodle wrap with a gluten free teff tortilla (wasn’t a big fan), shredded carrots, spinach, cucumber, and bell peppers.
- Catered lunch in the office… guac, spinach artichoke dip, chips, and chicken taco salad with bacon that had been crusted with pepper. The best bacon I’ve ever had.
- My usual breakfast! Strawberry Kefir smoothie with protein powder, hard boiled eggs and a banana. I usually eat my hard boiled eggs with mayo… Does anyone else do this??
- Impromptu lunch— leftover teriyaki salmon, stir fried zoodles and carrots with soy sauce, and a fried egg. Probably the best lunch I’ve had in a while.
- Skinny Taste’s Zoodles and Meatballs! We made this dish at our free nutrition workshop the other night at the hospital. The audience absolutely loved it, and I got to take home a ton of leftovers. It is SO GOOD!
- Memorial Day lunch… Nick and I had been craving a good burger for so long. There’s a place called Jake’s Hamburgers that’s near us, and they have the BEST mushroom swiss burger. Yes, thats right. Dietitians eat hamburgers. Balance folks.
- Pretty sure we eat pesto at least once per week now. Nick’s new favorite food! Here I had pesto pasta with fried tilapia.
- What makes a late meeting in downtown Dallas awesome? Catered Chipotle!
- Turkey taco salad, homemade Spanish Rice.
- Homemade meat loaf, mashed yukon gold potatoes, corn on the cob and sauteed green beans.
- Nick requested beef enchiladas. Believe it or not, I’ve actually never made beef enchiladas. I took my trusty enchilada recipe and used ground beef, spinach, roasted bell peppers, and fresh jalapeno. I also took out the two cups of cheese and used a can of cream of chicken soup instead. Turned out AMAZING!
- We both had a craving for fettuccine alfredo! Nick offered to cook that night which was a nice treat! I love seeing him in the kitchen! The sauce is quite the calorie punch, BUT! We made sure to measure out our pasta and fill half our plate with veggies. He did an awesome job, we both thought it tasted better than a restaurant!
- Someone PLEASE teach me how to make a pot roast in the crock pot. I have majorly failed each and every time. This one tasted like rubber and was a weird grey color.
- Date Night at Cantina Laredo! I got Mahi Mahi fish tacos, and Nick got brisket tacos.
PHEW! That was a ton of food! I had about 3 weeks of food pictures saved up.
What have y’all been eating lately?
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!
Leslie @ With Love, Leslie says
Oh man.. Now I’m hungry!!
I’m sad that your gluten free teff tortilla was not a success… Most corn tortillas are gluten-free and are not bad after you get use to them. It helps to warm them up in a damp paper towel for 10 seconds before you use them. It totally changes their texture!!
Zen & Spice says
Ohh I’ll have to try that next time! Softening them first would definitely help with the taste.