Tom kha tofu, or Thai coconut tofu soup, is a spicy and sour hot soup made with coconut milk. The heat comes from chili-garlic sauce, and the sour from the lime juice.
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small diced
- 2 inch piece ginger root, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili-garlic sauce
- 32 fl oz (4 cups) vegetable broth
- 2 (13.5 fl oz) cans coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (12 oz) pkg extra firm tofu, drained and small diced (no need to press)
- 1 lime
- 1 small bunch green onions (scallions), sliced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, and chili-garlic sauce to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion begins to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk, sugar, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add mushrooms and tofu to the pot and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the soup is done, juice lime into the pot and stir to combine.
- To serve, divide soup between bowls. Top with green onions and cilantro.
- Category: vegan