Tom kha gai, or Thai coconut chicken soup, is a spicy and sour hot soup made with coconut milk. The heat comes from chili-garlic sauce, and the sour from the lime juice.
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced into half rings
- 2 inch piece ginger root, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chili-garlic sauce
- 48 fl oz (6 cups) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (13.5 fl oz) can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless, sliced into thin strips
- 1 lime
- 1 small bunch green onions, sliced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once the pot is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic, and chili-garlic sauce to the pot. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion begins to soften, 3-4 minutes.
- Add broth, coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add mushrooms and chicken to the pot and continue to simmer until chicken is cooked through, 10-12 minutes.
- When the soup is done, juice lime into the pot and stir to combine.
- To serve, divide soup between bowls. Top with green onions and cilantro.