First, Happy Father’s Day to my Dad! Thank you for everything that you do!
Make sure to tell your dad you love him today!
One of my favorite bloggers, Ali over at Inspiralized, recently posted that she wanted to lose some weight. She’s been posting her after workout pictures and meals, and it’s been so motivating! She’s inspired me to ramp up my fitness routine.
I have quite a few fun events coming up in the next year and I want to be in the best shape for them! My boyfriend’s sister is getting married soon, my best friend is getting married next year, and I get to be bridesmaids in both of their weddings! That right there is enough motivation for me. And who knows, maybe we’ll get engaged sometime in the near future, so I definitely want to be in my best shape for that when it happens!
I have noticed that my once super-fast metabolism of my “younger” years is starting to slow down. Although I try to do something active about three times per week, sometimes it just isn’t enough to keep the weight from slowly creeping on.
Just because I’m a dietitian doesn’t mean that I do everything perfect all the time! I tend to eat healthy about 85% of the time, and the other 15% includes items such as chocolate, beer, wine, cheese, popcorn and pasta. The weekends tend to get the best of me. I’m able to eat healthy during the week when I have a plan, and tend to wing it on the weekends.
I have some pictures from this past Christmas and New Years, where I could tell I had been putting on some pounds and I had been losing my muscle definition that I had gained in the previous summer.
I’m just going to put it all out there: my weight in these pictures was topping about 160 pounds. My weight doesn’t define me, how my body feels and looks is what matters to me. Since these pictures, I’ve lost about ten pounds. I’m 5’9″ and currently 150 pounds. My weight goal is 140-145. This is a weight that I feel comfortable at.
I am not concerned with losing too much weight ( I don’t think I have much left to lose), I am really just focused on gaining muscle, tone, and getting into cardiovascular shape.
Note: Even though I do believe that the scale should not be an evaluator of self worth, (check out this post by a fellow RD blogger about why you should throw away your scale), it is a good check-in point to realize where you are and what your goals should be. I am definitely against checking your weight every day or multiple times per day. Weighing yourself weekly or bi-weekly, at the same time day, can be beneficial.
Again, being transparent with y’all. Here is me, at 150 pounds:
I’m giving myself a three-month timeline. I figure that is enough time to start seeing actual results.
- Gain muscle definition in arms (esp for those bridesmaid dresses!), stomach and legs
- Get into the habit of exercising 3-5 times per week
- Run a 5k with Leslie (I can barely run two miles…)
- Get in the habit of stopping eating when I’m full (too much of a good thing can be detrimental!)
- Lose 5-10 more pounds (not concerned about meeting this if I reach my other goals, I just want to feel healthy and less bloated)
Here’s my plan:
- Continue eating fresh, whole, unprocessed food. Smaller portion sizes.
- Cut back on beer, wine, and chocolate.
- Pay attention to my body and stop eating when I feel full.
- Exercise goals: weight training 3 times per week, cycling or running 3 times a week, and pilates videos 3 times per week.
So, September 14th, here I come! Wish me luck! I’ll be sharing monthly updates.
Do y’all have any health goals? What’s your plan?
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!