- 4 slices bacon OR 1 (15 oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8 whole grain pitas
- 1 (8 oz) block mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 small pineapple, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, minced
- Preheat your oven to broil.
- IF USING BACON: Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat. Chop the bacon into small pieces. Add to the skillet and cook until crispy, 3-4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- FOR THE SAUCE: In a medium bowl, combine garlic, tomato sauce, red pepper, paprika, onion powder and black pepper. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil.
- To assemble, top the pitas with a thin layer of tomato sauce, cheese, red onion, and pineapple. If using black beans, add to pizza here. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Remove from oven and top with bacon (if using) and minced cilantro.