Fresh shrimp, sweet pineapple, and crunchy red bell pepper threaded onto skewers and slathered in homemade teriyaki sauce. Served on a bed of fluffy couscous and garnished with green onions!
- 1 ½ lb raw peeled shrimp
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-inch piece ginger root, minced
- ½ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tsp cornstarch
- 1 small pineapple, cored and medium diced
- 2 red bell peppers, medium diced
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch green onions, sliced
- If using wooden skewers, place 12-16 skewers in a shallow dish of water to soak until you are ready to use them.
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together garlic, ginger, soy sauce, honey, and vinegar. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, make a slurry by whisking water with cornstarch until smooth.
- Add cornstarch slurry to the saucepan in a steady stream while stirring quickly. Cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens, 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Thread shrimp, pineapple, and bell peppers onto skewers and place them on a plate. Spoon sauce over both sides of skewers. Alternatively, you can cook the shrimp, pineapple, and bell pepper pieces directly on the grill/skillet without using skewers.
- Heat a large grill pan, outdoor grill, or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Coat the grill pan or skillet with oil. Cooking in batches if necessary, place kabobs on the grill. Cook 2 minutes, then flip and cook 2 minutes more, until shrimp are cooked through.
- To serve, divide quinoa and kabobs between plates. Top with green onions and enjoy!