Make meatless dinners more of a regular occurrence with these delicious vegetarian gyros! Grilled portabella mushrooms and peppers topped with fresh veggies and a tangy yogurt-dill sauce.
- 4 portabella mushrooms
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 pita breads or naan
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ head green lettuce
- Crumbled feta cheese, optional
For the Yogurt Dill Sauce:
- 1 English cucumber, grated
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice from ½ small lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and brush caps with a wet towel. Carefully scrape out the gills with a spoon. Slice mushroom into ¼-inch pieces and place in a medium bowl along with the olive oil, oregano and smoked paprika.
- Preheat an indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and peppers and grill, tossing occasionally, until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- To make the Yogurt Dill Sauce, squeeze the grated cucumber in a clean towel to remove excess liquid. Add to a large bowl with yogurt, sour cream, olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt and dill. Stir to combine.
- To serve, place mushrooms and peppers in the middle of the pita bread. Top with tomatoes, onion, lettuce, feta (optional), and a big dollop of yogurt sauce.
* Check the mushroom package label to see if the mushrooms have been exposed to UV light for maximum vitamin D – up to 120% DV1.