- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ½ lb chicken breasts, boneless skinless
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 small tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 cup packed fresh basil, julienned
- Place a small saucepan on medium-high heat; add balsamic vinegar and brown sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Cook until reduced by half, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 10-15 minutes. Once done, remove from heat.
- Holding a knife parallel to the cutting board, cut the chicken breasts in half horizontally, forming thin fillets.
- Mix the oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper together in a small bowl. Rub chicken fillets with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, coat grill pan with olive oil.
- Place the chicken fillets in the grill pan; cook until they are golden brown and cooked through, 5-6 minutes per side. Once done, remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to broil and position rack under the broiler. Line a baking sheet with foil for easy clean-up (optional).
- Combine the tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and julienned basil in a bowl. Add the oil, salt, and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place cooked chicken on a baking sheet pan. Top with sliced mozzarella. Place in the oven and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the cheese begins to melt.
- To serve, divide the chicken between plates, top with tomato mixture, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.