Get your greens in this creamy and savory tortelli dish! Loaded with baby spinach, basil, parsley, garlic, white cheddar, and Parmesan.
½ bunch Italian flat-leaf parsley (stems removed, 1/2 cup packed)
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves (stems removed)
5oz baby spinach
2 pkgs. Sprouts Organic Mushroom Tortelli
2 Tbsp. half and half
3 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. minced garlic
½ tsp. onion powder
3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 cup sharp white cheddar, shredded
½ cup Parmesan, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the parsley and basil and blanch for 15 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to remove the herbs to a bowl of ice water. Add the baby spinach to the pot and blanch for 1 minute. Remove and add to the bowl of ice water along with the herbs. Once cool, use a paper towel to squeeze out water and add the greens to a food processor.
- Return the blanching water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp. salt and the tortelli. Boil according to package directions (4-6 minutes). Drain and set aside.
- While the tortelli is cooking, add the half and half to the food processor along with the greens. Puree until smooth.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Melt the butter and add the minced garlic and onion powder. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the flour. Whisk to form a paste and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add the milk, whisking until smooth and thick, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Whisk in the white cheddar and Parmesan. Stir until cheese is melted and smooth. Add in the pureed greens and stir to combine.
- When the tortelli is done, carefully add to the saucepan and toss. Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese.
Keywords: pasta, ravioli, greens, spinach, Italian