A delicious vegan version of the sloppy joe – made with black beans! This delicious black bean sandwich is smothered in a tangy ketchup brown sugar sauce and topped with crunchy slaw.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- ½ cup ketchup
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 medium head napa or green cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small bunch green onions (scallions), sliced
- 4 whole grain buns or rolls
- Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once the saucepan is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
- Add the onion and garlic to the saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans in a colander; add to the saucepan with the onion. Stir to combine.
- Add the ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce, Dijon, brown sugar, and spices to the saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, while you make the slaw.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, Dijon, maple syrup, and onion powder.
- Add the cabbage, carrots, and green onion to the bowl with the dressing and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Toast the buns if desired.
- Divide the bean mixture between buns and top with slaw.
- Category: Vegan