I received free samples of Libby’s new Vegetable Pouches mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Today I’m sharing with you a special Recipe Redux post! Us members of Recipe Redux are among the first to try Libby’s new Vegetable Pouches, a time-saving solution for healthier meals! They’re microwavable and shelf-stable pouches that are available in five different favorites– sliced carrots, sweet peas, cut green beans, mixed vegetables and sweet corn.
“Recipe Redux members are being challenged to get moving in the kitchen by creating delicious appetizers, soups, salads and side dishes in 10 minutes or less using Libby’s Vegetable Pouches as the hero ingredient. The recipes should demonstrate time-saving tricks to producing flavorful, appealing veggie starters and sides.”
As a member of Recipe Redux, I was sent samples of the sweet corn, green beans and sweet peas. These veggie pouches are microwavable, environmentally friendly (uses 75% less energy to produce pouch packaging!), and compact so it fits nicely in kitchen cabinets.
For my recipe, I decided to make something that will be fun and tasty for football season. Who doesn’t love tacos for those lazy Sunday afternoons watching their favorite team? These make a great appetizer to serve to your friends and family. Not only are they full of flavor, but they’re also lower in calories and carbohydrate than the average taco (because of the lettuce wrap)! Perfect for those watching their waistlines.
These tacos are loaded with fiber and veggies– with Libby’s sweet corn, black beans, and red bell peppers. This dish cooks in about ten minutes and takes seconds to put together. Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese, and your favorite salsa or guacamole!
- 1.3 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 16-oz can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Pouch of Libby's Vegetable Pouches- sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- In a large skillet, brown the turkey. Drain and set aside.
- Return the skillet to medium heat, add the olive oil, black beans, corn, red bell peppers, cumin, cayenne, salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder and onion powder. Cook until red bell pepper is soft. Add the turkey in and mix well.
- Carefully tear the iceberg lettuce into cups, rinsed lightly and pat with a paper towel.
- Spoon the turkey and veggie mixture into a lettuce cup, top with sour cream and cheese.
- Serving suggestion: add your favorite salsa or guacamole!
[inlinkz_linkup id=452626 mode=1]
Hi! I’m Emily, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and self-taught intuitive chef. I firmly believe that cooking is the simplest and most important step we can take to improve our minds and bodies and build healthier communities. Join me and let’s bring food back to the kitchen!