Craving Thai food? Look no further! Try this ramen noodle soup that’s been majorly upgraded– with red curry, garlic, ginger, a savory coconut milk broth, with butternut squash cubes and baby spinach.
It’s been raining all weekend here in Dallas. I had to do my grocery shopping yesterday while it was down pouring– not fun when you’re trying to bring groceries out to your car! It’s supposed to rain ALL week here as well. I like the rain, but come on. Yesterday, I bought a FitBit and I want to go take the dog for a walk to test it out! Guess we’ll have to wait, haha.
Who wants to join me in making a giant bowl of these soupy noodles?
The broth is beyond delicious– red curry paste, garlic, fresh ginger, chicken broth, coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar for sweetness. Butternut squash cubes are cooked in this broth until soft, then the ramen is added, and baby spinach thrown in at the end to wilt. I love taking ramen noodles, discarding the seasoning packet, and making it so much healthier (and tastier!) with my own seasonings and broth.
You can easily make this soup vegan by leaving out the fish sauce and subbing in veggie broth. The fish sauce though, is what really brings this soup it’s “umami” flavor!
Do you love cilantro as much as I do? I put a huge pile on top of this soup, along with fresh red onion and lime wedges. I also drizzled the entire thing with Sriracha, the first time I taste-tested this recipe. Silly me, I forgot to drizzle it on when I made it again for the photos! So, just imagine that there’s a bright red swirl of Sriracha on top.
Here’s the recipe for Thai Curry Ramen Noodle Soup!
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth (if vegan)
- 2 packages Ramen noodles, seasoning packet discarded
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce (skip if vegan)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 4 cups baby spinach
- ½ red onion, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lime wedges
- Sriracha for drizzling, optional
- Add the canola oil to a pot over medium heat along with the garlic, ginger and red curry paste. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the butternut squash and chicken broth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce to simmer for 7-8 minutes, until the squash is soft and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, cook the ramen noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Once the squash is tender, add the coconut milk, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Remove from heat and add the ramen noodles and baby spinach until it wilts.
- Ladle into a bowl and top with diced red onion, cilantro and a lime wedge. Drizzle with Sriracha.