Want an affordable, high protein lunch or dinner meal? Try this teriyaki baked tofu bowl served on top of an easy five-minute polenta.
A year or two ago, I cooked tofu for the first time for my fiance. And to my surprise, he actually liked it! Tofu sounds foreign, but it’s actually pretty mild tasting, and it takes on any sauce or flavoring you put on it. My favorite way to cook tofu is simple: baking it in the oven.
When you bake tofu in the oven, it turns a light golden color and shrinks about 50%. It becomes more dense and has the texture of chicken. Since it’s the 21st of the month, it’s time for another Recipe Redux post!
This month’s theme was to show a healthy recipe for a bowl packed with protein, fiber and color.
Per cup, tofu has 20 grams of protein! Pair that with a quick polenta (boil water + add corn meal and whisk) that’s full of fiber (6g per cup!), and top with some fresh veggies sauteed in olive oil, and you’ve got yourself a delicious bowl!
Here’s the quick recipe for Teriyaki Baked Tofu Bowl with 5-Minute Polenta:
- 8oz extra firm tofu, diced small
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup bok choy, chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2-3 Tbsp of your favorite Teriyaki sauce
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the tofu in 1 Tbsp of the olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through until the tofu is lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the other 1 Tbsp olive oil and add the carrots, bell pepper, and bok choy. Saute until the veggies are soft, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In a small sauce pan, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Remove from the heat, and slowly whisk in the cornmeal until it thickens. Pour into a serving bowl.
- Once the tofu is done cooking, toss in the Teriyaki sauce.
- Top the polenta with the tofu, veggies, and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Get access to my free e-book, 15 Easy Veggie Sides!
You're going to love it!
Look in your inbox for a confirmation email along with a link to download the book.