Macaroni salad is one of the hot-ticket items at every barbecue or cookout- so look no further for a healthy version of this fan favorite! Made with protein-packed Greek yogurt, salsa, and lots of veggies and beans, this protein and fiber rich macaroni salad will be sure to satisfy.
Happy Monday, my friends! I am writing this post with new eyes. Yes, my new 20/20 robot eyes, I like to call them. Last Thursday, I somehow worked up enough courage to get LASIK and I couldn’t be more proud of myself! Lasik was something I NEVER thought I’d be able to do in a million years. I’m going to write a little more about my experience (none of the gross stuff) in this week’s Friday Coffee Date– a series I did a few times last year but want to start up again.
My eyes have been a little dry but overall, it feels freaking amazing to wake up each morning and being able to see perfectly with no contacts or glasses. It was a happy weekend! I also cut 3+ inches off my hair and added more blonde, definitely feeling like a new woman this week!
I wanted to share with you today a quick and delicious pasta salad recipe. Pasta salad usually has tons of mayo that increases the fat content of the dish, but the sauce for this pasta salad with made with Greek yogurt and salsa! It’s plenty creamy and the Greek yogurt provides an awesome protein addition.
Also included with the macaroni noodles is yellow bell pepper, black beans, green onions, and cilantro. It’s crunchy, creamy, salsa-y, and perfect for serving at your tailgating or Superbowl party!
Here’s the recipe for Southwest Pasta Salad:
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 cup Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 cup Sprouts Brand salsa
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 can reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup green onion
- Juice from ½ lemon
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the Greek yogurt, salsa, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta to a large mixing bowl. Add the bell pepper, cilantro, black beans, green onion and lemon juice. Pour the yogurt mixture into the bowl and mix well to combine. Serve immediately.