Savory and full of veggies and fresh herbs, this cauliflower potato soup will hit the spot this fall and is a perfect quick weeknight soup!
Here it is, my last recipe before I sign off for the wedding! And nothing more fitting than a comforting, quick soup. We’ve finally started feeling fall temps around here, and in Texas, that means mid-seventies, upper eighties. Which is sometimes chilly to us Texans who are whimps when it gets cold- especially at night when the temperature gets down to — woah! 55 or 60 degrees.
Anyway, while my brain is filled with thoughts of mason jars, ribbon, floral deliveries, people to call, things to decide, craft projects to do, I did find time to make a big pot of this soup. It’s very simple and lasts in the fridge for days.
A couple weeks ago, I did a cooking demo with Sprouts Farmer’s Market to showcase one of their products: bone broth. Most cooks know bone broth as stock thats just been simmered much longer– sometimes up to 48 hours! Bone broth is tasty, naturally low in sodium and makes a wonderful base for soups and stews.
For this recipe, I used Jarrow powdered bone broth because I got a package as a sample. You just reconstitute it with water– but you do have to add salt to make it taste better. If you can’t find powdered bone broth, just use regular boxed bone broth. It’s available in most grocery stores these days!
This soup has cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion (powder) and a splash of cream added at the end. I like to take my potato masher and mash up the cauliflower and potatoes at the end to give the soup a more uniform consistency.
Here’s the recipe for Savory Cauliflower Potato Soup with Bone Broth:
- ½ head cauliflower, chopped
- 3 small yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1-2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp butter + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 scoops Jarrow bone broth + 4 cups water *
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped roughly stems and all
- ¼-½ cup half and half
- Sautee cauliflower, potatoes, carrots, celery and onion powder in butter and olive oil over medium heat.
- Add 4 cups of water and bring to a boil, then stir in 4 scoops of Jarrow powdered bone broth.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add salt and pepper and 2-3 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until cauliflower is soft. Remove from heat and stir in the half and half. Top with cheddar cheese, optional.
- *Jarrow is a brand of powdered bone broth found in the supplement aisle (I got mine at Sprouts). If you don't want to use powdered, just substitute for 4 cups of beef broth or stock.