This post was sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. All thoughts and opinions about this original recipe are my own.
This recipe is actually another version of my Crab & Kale Lasagna Rolls that I made two years ago. This version turned out so much better (and has much better photography, haha). It’s hard to photograph casseroles and cheese, especially when it starts to cool down. Trick is to photograph as soon as possible after coming out of the oven.
It’s funny because the last time I made these, Nick was also out of town. He’s not a fan of seafood and I made these with crab last time while he was away on a business trip. This past weekend he was in Arizona at the Texas Tech vs. Arizona State game with one of his buddies.
This time I left the crab out and kept these vegetarian. It made the dish not only cheaper, but kept the focus on the herbed pumpkin sauce that should really be the highlight.
Sprouts has plenty of canned pumpkin in stock! Was it last year when there as a supposed “pumpkin shortage”? I remember going to the store and never being able to find pumpkin.
No worries this year! This is my first official pumpkin recipe of the Fall. We had a “cold front” over the weekend and it actually got down to 85 degrees, which has been SO nice (I know you northerners will think I’m crazy haha).
This dish comes together easily and is a good way to impress company this Fall season! I know the next time my parents come over I’ll think about making this dish, both my Mom and Dad loved it when I made it the first time, I’m sure they will love the newest version!
Get your pumpkin on with this savory pasta dish!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 head of kale, rinsed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 15oz ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup parmesan
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 8oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 15oz can Sprouts Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp basil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and add the onion, kale, and garlic. Sautee until the onions have caramelized and the kale has shrunk down. Set aside in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, boil the lasagna noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Return the large pan to medium heat and add the 1 tsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp minced garlic. Cook for one minute. Add the 2 Tbsp tomato paste and cook for an additional minute
- Add the pumpkin, half and half, milk, onion powder, garlic powder, basil, salt and pepper, and parsley. Stir and let simmer for a few minutes. Add the parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes.
- To the bowl with the kale and onion mixture, add the ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan, egg and salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- To assemble: add one cup of sauce to the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Add several heaping tablespoons of ricotta mixture to a lasagna noodle and spread. Roll and place seam side down in the dish. Repeat with remaining noodles.
- Pour the rest of the pumpkin sauce over the top of the noodles and top each with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.