These cheesy quinoa and broccoli cakes are full of protein and fiber. They’re an easy way to sneak veggies into your meals!
Say hello to a new weeknight dinner staple! Once you try these cheesy broccoli quinoa patties, they’ll be on a regular rotation. This recipe makes about twelve of them and 2-3 is a serving! Because of all the fiber, they really fill you up.
This is also another recipe remake. Slowly working my way through. :) I posted this originally a couple years ago and have made it probably every couple months. Nick is actually the one that requests it! One of the only ways to get him to eat broccoli, and quinoa, haha.
Quinoa cooks in about fifteen minutes, and it takes a couple additional minutes to form the cakes. Then you fry them in a little oil and you’re done! I like to eat mine with either ketchup or mayonnaise. We serve ham and green beans on the side for a complete meal.
When you’re frying these, you’ll use about one inch of oil in a large skillet. To make sure as much of the oil drains off as possible, set up a large plate with paper towels and let the patties drain after cooking.
This is probably the only way I like to eat quinoa too. The cheese and broccoli take away the bitterness of the quinoa and it all comes together in one crunchy, savory patty! If you have a food processor, use that to chop the broccoli into little tiny pieces. It helps the patties stay together while cooking.
Here’s the recipe for cheesy quinoa and broccoli cakes!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 10 large broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded 2% reduced fat cheddar
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- Sour cream or ketchup, for serving
- Rinse the quinoa in a strainer for 30 seconds under running water. This helps to remove bitterness.
- Add the two cups of water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add the quinoa, bringing to a boil, then reducing to a simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Steam the broccoli in pot with a steamer basket, until soft. Remove from pot and chop into small pieces. Use a food processor to mince if possible.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, broccoli, breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Heat enough oil to cover the bottom of a large skillet over medium heat.
- Using 1/4 cup measure, make a ball out of the mixture and place it in the pan. Squash it down a little bit and cook for 5-7 minutes on each side or until each side has browned.
- Serve with sour cream or ketchup!